In Kimberly Palmer’s article for AARP called, Ten Things You Should Know About Age Discrimination, https://www.aarp.org/work/on-the-job/info-2017/age-discrimination-facts.html, she cites that most people believe age discrimination happens when workers hit their 50s, and 8 in 10 Americans age 50 and older want to see Congress enact stronger laws to prevent age discrimination.
If you are someone concerned that your age may be a detriment to your job search, I’m here to tell you that your age is an asset. You get to decide how you want to “SHOW UP” and communicate your value and worth to a new employer about what you can do and who you are as a profession.
In this episode, I discuss:
- Download my free resource at https://johnneral.com/free (1:55)
- Age discrimination is illegal (3:00)
- Tips to Make Your Age an Asset (6:15)
- Networking Strategies (8:30)
- Make Your Resume and LinkedIn Profile Ageless (10:10)
- Leverage Your Talents and Expertise (11:05)
- Build Relationships During Your Interview (12:20)
- Reassure Younger Managers (14:00)
- Focus on Companies Who Value and Hire People Your Age (15:20)
- Don’t Draw Attention to Your Age (17:30)
- Don’t Let Your Tech Skills Falter (18:50)
- Don’t Directly Answer Illegal Questions (21:10)
- Don’t Negate Your Experience (22:40)
- Don’t Miss an Opportunity (23:20)
- Commit to How You Want to “SHOW UP” (25:07)
For more information about how I help my clients create their next advancement opportunity and show up professionally and energetically to make the impact they want, email me at email@example.com.
Click on this link, https://johnneral.com/free/, to get my free workbook, “Three Steps to Creating Your Next Advancement Opportunity Without Feeling Overwhelmed,” designed to help you create your next advancement opportunity. If you liked the video, please give it a “thumbs up” and click subscribe.